I don't see any of that as wasting because they are learning. They are being resourceful and making stuff and they are having fun.
I was sick some last week and we didn't get a whole lot of formal homeschooling done. So we "wasted" our week on stuff like this:
- The kids set up little stores and sold stuff to each other (math, economics, handwriting, spelling).
- They had a friend stay the night (social).
- They got to play at a church with an indoor gym and outdoor play area (physical education).
- We had dinner at a friend's house twice (manners, social).
- Daddy was in Wyoming (geography).
- They made these oil/water/salt/food coloring lava lamps (science).
- They got to see the Marching Cobras at Callie's Upward Cheer celebration (music appreciation).
- They gave to a food drive at the celebration (altruism).